Last November 2008, Willie's owner, Meagan, was babysitting toddler Hannah, who started to choke on her breakfast when Howard was out of the room.
Meagan said, "While I was in the bathroom, Willie (the parrot) started screaming like I'd never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings, Then he started saying 'mama baby' over and over and over again until I came out and looked at Hannah and Hannah's face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart."
Meagan performed the Heimlich maneuver on Hannah, which stopped the choking.
"If (Willie) wouldn't have warned me, I probably wouldn't have come out of the bathroom in time because she was already turning blue, her lips were blue and everything," Meagan said. When she accepted the award, she said, “Willie is the real hero. “
I heard on our local news tonight Meagan state that Willie had never before said baby and has not even said it since that day, even when prompted.
Quite amazing. You never know when a hero (or maybe an angel?) may appear in a time of need.
Willie photo AP Photo/CBS4Denver.com)