Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thoughts on Reincarnation

Oak Creek, Sedona, Arizona
Photograph © Copyright 2009 by Ted Grussing

"The soul of man is like to water; from Heaven it cometh, to Heaven it riseth… And then returning to earth, forever alternating." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

"Every incarnation that we remember must increase our comprehension of ourselves as who we are." ~ Aleister Crowley (1875-1947)

“Know, therefore, that from the greater silence I shall return… Forget not that I shall come back to you… A little while, a moment of rest upon the wind, and another woman shall bear me."
~ Kahlil Gibran (1883-1931)

"My life often seemed to me like a story that has no beginning and no end. I had the feeling that I was an historical fragment, an excerpt for which the preceding and succeeding text was missing. I could well imagine that I might have lived in former centuries and there encountered questions I was not yet able to answer; that I had been born again because I had not fulfilled the task given to me." ~ Carl Jung (1875-1961)

“I adopted the theory of Reincarnation when I was twenty six. Religion offered nothing to the point. Even work could not give me complete satisfaction. Work is futile if we cannot utilize the experience we collect in one life in the next. When I discovered Reincarnation it was as if I had found a universal plan I realized that there was a chance to work out my ideas. Time was no longer limited. I was no longer a slave to the hands of the clock. Genius is experience. Some seem to think that it is a gift or talent, but it is the fruit of long experience in many lives. Some are older souls than others, and so they know more. The discovery of Reincarnation put my mind at ease. If you preserve a record of this conversation, write it so that it puts men’s minds at ease. I would like to communicate to others the calmness that the long view of life gives to us.”
~ Henry Ford (1863-1947)

“Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting;
The soul that rises with us or life’s star,
Has had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar,
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But railing clouds of glory, do we come
From God, who is our home.” ~William Wordsworth (1770-1850)


To read more about 19th Century poets and philosophers and their thoughts on spiritualism you may want to read my article, A Meeting of the Minds --Ralph Waldo Emerson, James Martin Peebles, Walt Whitman, and several others.
~ Linda





4 comments:

Randy said...

Wow, these are tremendous quotes! Reincarnation is one of those things the soul knows intuitivly, but we can't know directly. The idea just makes sense to me, but I tend toward a mysticism. I like to think that when I look at a bird soaring, something in me is remembering what that was like. When I first heard bluggrass music the sensation was such that I was convinced I had known that music intimatly in some other time. Thanks for the post.

Oklahoma Girl said...

Very thought provoking. I am going to borrow the Wordsworth quote. I have long decided that our Spirits have lived many times. Each visit is a time to evolve for fully & to learn lessons yet unlearned.

blessed be...

Mark said...

Great thoughts on reincarnation! I too believe that we travel this human journey as many times as needed to learn the lessons and server our purpose as needed.

Nancy said...

Wow - reincarnation has been on my mind and in several conversations over the last day or so - then I found you writing about it with such meaningful quotations. Thanks.