Thursday, March 26, 2009

Willie the Parrot, Hero

I couldn’t resist sharing this wonderful story of Willie the Parrot who was awarded the Denver Colorado Red Cross Chapter’s Animal Lifesaver Award the other day.



Last November 2008, Willie's owner, Meagan, was babysitting toddler Hannah, who started to choke on her breakfast when Howard was out of the room.

Meagan said, "While I was in the bathroom, Willie (the parrot) started screaming like I'd never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings, Then he started saying 'mama baby' over and over and over again until I came out and looked at Hannah and Hannah's face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart."

Meagan performed the Heimlich maneuver on Hannah, which stopped the choking.

"If (Willie) wouldn't have warned me, I probably wouldn't have come out of the bathroom in time because she was already turning blue, her lips were blue and everything," Meagan said. When she accepted the award, she said, “Willie is the real hero. “

I heard on our local news tonight Meagan state that Willie had never before said baby and has not even said it since that day, even when prompted.

Quite amazing. You never know when a hero (or maybe an angel?) may appear in a time of need.

~Linda

Willie photo AP Photo/CBS4Denver.com)






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a great story Linda. Life never ceases to amaze me. When I was younger I used to hear amazing stories and wouldn't know what to think of them. But now whenever I hear somebody passionately talking about their experiences, I know them to be true. What an amazing world we live in. We can experience miracles in so many ways.

Randy said...

I heard that story on the radio too. It was very cool. Got'a love stuff like that.

Edith Newell-Beattie said...

I like this little reminder. thank you :-)